Thursday, May 25, 2006

Amazing Lace Team

Black Pearl Snowdrop Shawl


Yarn Harlot's Snowdrop Shawl

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/Snowdrop_Shawl_v1.0.pdf



One skein of Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in Black Pearl

50% silk/50% wool, 1200 yards

So far, so good...
So I grab my trusty 4mm aluminum circular and get started.
First off, this yarn is FINE; it's like two sewing threads twisted together, I've never knit with anything this skinny before. Sock yarn is bulky compared to this stuff.
Secondly, my old aluminum needles are too slippery for this yarn, so it's off to the yarn store tomorrow to pick up a wood circ.
Third, I think my gauge is a bit loose, so I think I'll go down to a 3mm needle.
Fourth, the needles need to be a bit pointier to sneak around this thread-like yarn.

1 comment:

Plain Jane said...

I'm going through the same "culture shock" over the weight of lace yarn! It's so fine that I can't even feel it under my fingers so I can't cruise through the wrong side purl rows while reading like I'd planned. I think, however, that I've found the perfect needle - a vintage Susan Bates nylon circular (a garage sale find). The surface is just right for sliding the yarn without it slipping off like my first attempt with aluminum needles did and the points are perfect.